Just because your site has launched does not mean an end to contact between Surface Impression and yourselves. We are more than aware that problems can arise on your site be they technical or design related. We can also appreciate that as your website (or other digital product) grows you may wish to change, develop or add new functionality. The purchase of a support package can help with this. These FAQ’s outline how much support costs, what you can use it for and how to log a support request.
Benefits of purchasing a support package:
● Cheaper hourly rate (£82.50) than our normal development rate (£125.57) to carry out work.
● Dedicated contact who manages support requests and delegates to the relevant member of the team to ensure an efficient work flow with 3 options of contact.
● Cover in the event of a major issue that affects the status of your site and a guarantee it will be resolved as quickly as possible.
● Provide the option to develop and expand on existing functionality.
● Provide the option to make small amendments to design and style.
● Assist with security issues, strategy and post launch training. Further specific information on what we cover can be found under the FAQ ‘What is a support package used for’.
Unlike other companies that offer prepaid monthly packages where if the service is not used you don’t get the time back, here at Surface Impression we give you better value for your money. You can use your support time as and when is needed and simply top it up when you run out. This means you won’t lose any money if you decide not to do any work. Clients tend to purchase in blocks of 6 hours. We will estimate how many is needed in a year for your site. However we appreciate you will not always be able to afford this due to a financial situation or lack of funding . We are happy discuss an alternative amount.
Once you have made a support request it will be assigned to a relevant member of staff and they will log how much time it takes to do it. The resulting amount of time will then be deducted from the total number of hours of your support package. If this is pre-planned work we can give you an estimate of how much will be deducted so you are fully aware of how much impact it will have on your overall hours. You might need to purchase some more hours or if that is not possible we will be able to suggest an alternative way of carrying out the task that will use less hours. An example would be:
- Client has a 12 hour support package.
- The client wants to add blog functionality to the site.
- The task is created and assigned to a member of the team and they carry it out.
- The task is logged as taking 3 hours to complete.
- 3 hours are then deducted from the support package with 9 hours remaining.
We try to be as accurate as possible when estimating hours but occasionally unforeseen issues may occur and more hours will be used. You will be informed as soon as possible if this is the case.
A dedicated member of staff regularly checks the status of support packages. They will inform you when you are running low – usually when you have 3 – 4 hours left. You will be asked whether or not you wish to purchase a new support package. Occasionally it might be the case that the task being worked on will go over the number of support hours you have remaining. Where possible we will try to inform you of this in advance. The number of hours over your current support package will be deducted from your next one. An example would be:
- Client has 1 hour remaining on their 12 hour support package and has asked for some more work.
- The work takes 2 hours.
- The 1 hour that is not covered by the package is deducted from their next package.
- The client purchases another 12 hour package but because the previous one ran over by 1 hour it becomes an 11 hour support package.
There are 8 main areas covered by support:
- Hosting provision
- Media production
- Legal and Policy
Examples of when to contact us:
- Functionality – An aspect of your site isn’t working OR you wish to add a small change to the functionality of your site.
- Design – The layout of a page or the site appears oddly in your web browser OR you wish to make minor amendments to design, such as changing colours or the layout.
- Security – You think an unauthorised person has access to a password protected area of your site and you believe it to be compromised OR you wish to improve the security of your site.
- Training – You have forgotten to do something in the CMS OR you have a new member of staff who requires training in its use.
- Hosting provision – The site is loading slowly, not displaying at all OR you want to move to another hosting provider.
- Strategy – You want to improve the way your sites content is organised and improve its usability OR you want us to help you analyse your google analytics and propose improvements.
- Media Production – You want to know the best techniques for adding images and audio to the site OR you need help with converting images and processing audio files.
- Bugs – A bug has been introduced to your site either from a software / plugin update or third party application.
- Legal and Policy – The government introduces a regulatory change that will impact your site OR your organisation makes a policy change that must be reflected on your site
- Domain names – These are independent of the actual provision of the website and should be controlled directly by you.
- Search engine rankings – Although we optimise sites for this we do not guarantee any performance level of listings within search engine results pages.
- Financial transactions – Exchange of money is covered by the agreement with your transaction provider. The shopping cart or any related functionality is covered by the support agreement but the transaction facilities are not under our control.
- Third party applications – If the site is integrated with another application (one that we have not created for you) then you need to arrange support with the provider of that application.
Like all work, support is scheduled as part of our daily business activities. To allow us to allocate resources effectively, support requests are categorized into three priority levels – high/medium/low. Turnaround time for each level is as follows:
- High priority – 1 day.
- Medium priority – 1 week
- Low priority – up to 2 weeks
- Uncategorized – to be agreed with you
Some examples would be:
- High priority – The site or major functionality is not working at all. This is the highest priority level and means the issue will be addressed as soon as possible.
- Medium priority – There is a small problem with the layout of a page, some text is not formatted correctly or a media file is not loading.
- Low priority – Colour of an element on the page does not match, a background is out of line, you need to change the address a mailing list goes to or a newsletter template needs adding.
- Uncategorised – As mentioned you might want to add an additional piece of functionality to the site using your support package. The turnaround time for this will be negotiated beforehand as it does not fit in with any of the levels above.
These turnaround times (excluding high) are not always guaranteed and can depend on several factors such as staff availability and during a busy work period.
It is possible to purchase a SLG for a fee starting at £150 per calendar months for these turnaround times. Faster turnaround times will require higher SLG fees. If the guaranteed turnaround time for a support request made under an SLG is not met it will be refunded.
Please contact us for more details about this.
You will invalidate the terms and conditions of your support package if you or any third party –
- Modify any of the templates or CSS within the site without prior permission.
- Give out your CMS, FTP or any other system password to anyone. Each user should have their own log in details and appropriate levels of access. Contact us for help with this if you need it.
- Change your CMS password to something too simple that can leave the site vulnerable.
The Url for the support area is https://surfaceimpression.digital/support-hub.
You will be given two options –
- Login with an account – this will enable you to see all the previous tickets you have raised. If you don’t have an account, click register now and fill in the form with your details.
- Log in as a guest – This is a one time log in that allows you to create a ticket without having an account. You will be sent a link in a confirmation email and subsequent emails where you can see this raised ticket.
We recommend creating an account, this makes it easier to keep track of previous tickets you have raised, and also enables us to address future issues more promptly.
After this you will be presented with the ticket submission form.
Please fill in the form in as much detail as possible, following the example text given in each field. This allows us to address the issue faster without the need for follow up questions.
Once you have filled in the form click the submit button. You will receive a confirmation email that your ticket has been submitted, along with a link to the ticket itself.
We will endeavour to respond as quickly as we can, although during busy periods there might be a slight delay.
If you registered an account, simply log in and you will see a list of tickets including the current one and previous ones. If you raised the ticket as a guest, use the url provided to you in the emails you receive. Your latest ticket will be marked ‘open’ – if a member of Surface Impression hasn’t responded yet or ‘awaiting customer response’ which means we have responded to your ticket and are waiting for a reply from you.
Clicking on your current ticket will take you to the ticket itself. Here you will see any responses from the Surface Impression team and also an area for you to make a reply to any questions or comments. You can also upload media if it is requested or you think it will be of further help.
This will be your main way of communicating on the issue you have raised. The conversation will continue until you are satisfied the issue has been resolved. Please post a message confirming this and we will close the ticket.
You will get notifications when messages are posted or the status of your ticket has been changed via email, there is no need to keep checking your ticket area.